“What we love determines what we seek. What we seek determines what we think and do. What we think and do determines who we are — and who we will become.” ― Dieter F. Uchtdorf

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

My first real days off

Tuesday June 22nd

Yesterday was my day off and it.was.awesome.

I slept in, went to breakfast, came back and finally finished my book. It was a good book, sad, but good. Today’s goal: find another book!

After I finished my book, my roommate Rachel and I headed to the lake to go kayaking. It was a BEAUTIFUL day. On our way to the lake we ran into Dustin, it was his day off as well, so we invited him to come with us. We grabbed lunch then went to the docks to get our kayaks. We didn’t go all the way across the lake but we got pretty close.

Side note: For some reason I have become so fascinated with the wildlife here, especially the birds. Out on the lake there were two huge birds soaring above us, I just really wish I could tell what kind of birds they were. There are also so many different beautiful birds I always see flying around the lodge and our housing. I need to get a bird book or something J

Anyways… after kayaking I tried to find Josh and Adam because I reserved spots for us to go horseback riding, but I could not find them. So Dustin and Rachel went with me instead. I have missed being on a horse so much! It was a 1 ½ hour trail ride of the most breathtaking views. I never wanted the ride to stop. Let me just say that pictures do not do this place justice. It was a fun ride but the whole time I was just itching to run with the horse.

I totally forgot that over the past few years I have grown allergic to horses. Luckily I was still able to breathe after the ride but my eyes got swollen and puffy and red and my head was killing me. so I slept. And then somehow got myself out of bed to go on a hike up the Fish Hook trail with Stanley’s FHE group. It was so gorgeous. Especially at the end. Holy moly I can’t get enough of all the views around here. The trail left us at the edge of this huge field. It looked a lot like the field in the Twilight series but ten times better with the Sawtooths behind it, a bunch of deer roaming around, and a cute little river flowing through. Going on that hike made me want to go backpacking SO BAD.

After the hike I ended the amazing day with another great bonfire.

Today was my day off…again. It came as a surprise to me. I totally thought I worked this afternoon so I go out to the Z-bo and clocked in, only to look at the schedule and Tom had me off today as well. So I went out to the docks and was going to go kayaking again but they had a shuttle tour about to go out so I hopped in with them. Josh was our tour guide and it was a fun hour long tour around the lake. It was me and 3 older rich couples. One of the men gave me cookies and candy and was super nice and funny the whole time.

Then I went horseback riding again : ) just for an hour this time. It was me and two 14 year old girls. I talked with our guide the whole time. She is 19 as well and she told me that I can come over after their work sometime and go riding for real. The trail rides are fun and all but I would love to be able to go off riding and run through the mountains. So hopefully I will be able to take her up on her word and hang out with the horse corral crew.

Later I went out to Point View campground where there is a giant boulder. Matt took out all his rock climbing supplies and I went rock climbing out in the real life WILDERNESS!!! It was sooo cool and way fun. A little bit difficult though due to the fact that I had big honkin running shoes on, it made it hard to get my feet in the small crevices. But all in all it was a great experience and I can totally see myself doing it again.