“What we love determines what we seek. What we seek determines what we think and do. What we think and do determines who we are — and who we will become.” ― Dieter F. Uchtdorf

Thursday, June 10, 2010

First Day Of My Perfect Summer Job

Wednesday June 9th 2010

Can I just say that I already have plans to come back next summer? Because I do, and I haven’t even been here for 24 hours yet.

When we first arrived, my mom and I sat in the restaurant in the lodge to wait for my manager to show me around. While I was waiting they gave me a menu and said the food was on the house….sweet! I figured some fries and herbal tea would hold me over until dinner. My manager Emily showed up a little while later and gave me a short tour.

The Gazebo (where I will be working- which I have come to find out is the most coveted job) is a lot larger then what I remembered. I am way excited to start working there tomorrow, even though it doesn’t open to the public until the 17th. The Corral is an employee cabin where we eat and clock in and out or just chill. Then off to my housing. It’s a little over ¼ mile from the lodge. I live in what they call a bungalow. The bungalows are like really long and skinny cabins. There is a wall that separates the girls and guys and they are for the first year employees. The second years and older either stay in the bunkhouse, which is located on top of the laundry room and public showers and is on the same floor as our weight room, or they stay in “the Ritz” which is just a really big two story cabin.

Today I got settled into my top bunk ( where I can hardly even sit up straight and is absolutely terrifying to climb up and down). Our cabin is pretty cozy. It feels like the dorm life that I never got to experience in college. I love it. It’s quaint. A small bathroom, a little sink, 4 lockers, a bookshelf, a shoe shelf, electricity, a mini fridge, and a heater. This is how I like to campout for 3 months! Although I do feel quite shut off from the outside world. No car. No cell phone service. And very iffy internet. But who cares, I am living in paradise all summer long!!!!! Literally. The scenery is so surreal. For all of you who have experienced Redfish, you know what I am talking about. For those of you who haven’t….your missing out for sure.

So far, the few people I met today are awesome. I am way excited to meet the rest of the crew and get to know all of them.

As for the rest of my day, I took my bike out and explored the area. I went to my favorite beach spot on the opposite side of the lake from the lodge and just sat there and took in the incredible scenery I am surrounded by. It is simply breathtaking. And now I am so tired. Probably due to the fact that I got no sleep last night because I was so nervous. But the employees are having a bonfire tonight, only one of many they have every week. How cool!

I will get pictures up soon hopefully!

No comments: