“What we love determines what we seek. What we seek determines what we think and do. What we think and do determines who we are — and who we will become.” ― Dieter F. Uchtdorf

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

An Unexpected (much needed) Lesson Learned

Today I had an incredible experience at work. (I work at DownEast Outfitter Clothing Outlet) Some of you may be wondering how I could possibly have such an experience by being a humble and lowly Sales Associate.
Let me tell you my story from today.

This morning was s..l..o...w. Sometimes these days can be boring but I also love them at the same time because I can give more one-on-one time with my customers thus up-ing my customer service.
On this particular slow day, a lady walked in this afternoon and at first glance I knew that her self-esteem and self-image were quite low. Her clothing was baggy, plain, and worn out. Her body language showed that she tried to appear as small and as out-of-sight to the world as she could. My heart sank a little. She walked up to me and asked if I worked here. I replied with a "yes, is there anything I can help you look for?"
Her response, "I don't know how to pick out clothes. I have no sense of style. I don't know what I'm doing and I need your help. I'm going on a first date tonight and I haven't been on one in years. I need you to pick out an outfit for me."
I was ecstatic.
I asked her what her sizes were. After she gave me her answer I looked at her and could clearly tell that she had given me a size or two larger than she actually was. Again, my heart sank. I knew that she was going to be tough. I knew that her self-image was completely altered. I immediately realized that this wouldn't just be a mission of finding her a cute outfit for a first date, but a mission to also help her find a part of her self-worth. To help her realize that she is beautiful despite the negative thoughts that, I so personally know, are running through her head constantly. I saw a huge part of my (past) self within her.
I got a few outfits for her and put her in a dressing room. We started getting ideas of what colors worked best for her and what types of style were most flattering to her figure. She slowly started warming up to shopping. After a few minutes she remembered that she had to be somewhere and would be back soon to finish.
Within the next hour she was back and I could see that she was excited. She couldn't wait to find something that she liked and she started to believe that cute clothes actually looked good on her.
After almost trying on half of the store, and after my constant reassurance, we settled on multiple outfits that she loved. When I was ringing her out at the cash register, I could tell her countenance had completely changed. She couldn't stop smiling. I could tell that a small seed was planted that will help her realize her worth and beauty. She walked out of our store in such a different mood.
As she left I realized how much I actually really love my job. I don't just fold jeans and clear out dressing rooms. I help women feel confident in themselves inside and out and it makes those long boring days so much more worth it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love this Britni. Love you!! Your a such a beautiful person!!!!!